Accessibility Support

Video Accessibility Play Video
At San Jacinto College, we recognize that some people need more support than others along their educational journey. That’s why we’re here. We want to make sure you have everything you need to succeed. Find out what Accessibility Services offers and how to apply for assistance.

Breaking Through Barriers

Our accessibility services coordinators are here to help. We provide accommodations to assist students with documented disabilities, which may include: learning disabilities, visual or hearing impairments, communication disorders, mobility limitations, brain injuries, chronic illnesses, ADHD/ADD, and cognitive or psychological disabilities. Once you meet with a coordinator, we will determine an accommodation plan. Accommodations may include:

  • Extended time for test taking
  • Sign language interpreting services
  • Captioning services for deaf/hard of hearing students
  • Specialized technologies
  • Calculator for math
  • Enlarged print

Apply for Assistance

If this is your first time applying for accommodations, follow the steps below.

  1. Get Documentation

    You must provide documentation from a qualified medical professional regarding your disability. Attach this to your application.

  2. Submit the Application

    This application is for first time applicants only. Don’t forget to include your medical documentation!

    Are you a returning student? Use the returning student request form.

  3. Determine Accommodations

    You will be contacted either by phone or email five to seven business days after you submit your application. We will set up a time to meet to discuss accommodation options based on your disability.

Accessibility Support FAQ


We do not provide testing or evaluations to determine a disability diagnosis. You are responsible for providing current documentation to support your request.

If you are 18 years or older, you are legally recognized as an adult. This means you are responsible for your own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions.

However, we do recognize that parents can provide additional information and serve as a source of support. We encourage you to maintain an open dialogue with your parents as you go through this process.

Yes, your information is confidential and can not be shared with anyone without your permission.

The Family Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA)
FERPA regulates disclosure of disability documentation and records maintained by Accessibility Services. Under this federal act, we need your written consent before we can release any disability documentation or records.

However, FERPA does have exceptions that allow us to disclose records without your prior consent. These exceptions include:

  • To other school officials who have “legitimate educational interests,” as defined by the institution
  • To officials of other schools in which you seek enrollment
  • In connection with your application for, or receipt of financial aid
  • If disclosure is necessary to protect your, or another student’s health or safety
  • In response to a lawfully issued subpoena 

Find out more about FERPA 

We strongly encourage you to apply for accommodations a few weeks before the semester begins. However, you can apply for accommodations at any point in the semester. 

An IEP or 504 Plan provides evidence of the need for academic accommodations. It can be included as a supplement to a comprehensive assessment of tests. You may still need to provide additional documentation to support the IEP or 504 Plan.

If you are unsure if you qualify for accommodations, contact the Accessibility Services Coordinator on your campus. They will talk with you about your situation and needs. This will help them determine if you need any official documentation or services to help you.

No. It is your responsibility to seek out accommodations through Accessibility Services.

This is because in college, students with disabilities are covered under the Rehabilitation Act and under the Americans with Disabilities Act. In high school, students are covered under IDEA. This means the legal obligations of schools are different.

We only provide accommodations and services in the academic setting. Services related to personal care are your responsibility. This includes ownership of equipment, such as a wheelchair, or personal aids.

You may file a formal appeal if you do not agree with the decision of the Accessibility Services Coordinator. This includes:

  • Being denied accommodations
  • A disagreement on the approved accommodations

Contact our office for information on the appeal process at  

No, you do not need to apply to bring a service animal on campus. However, we do appreciate it if you could provide Accessibility Services with a courtesy notice about your service animal. Not only does this help prepare us, but we may also have other accommodations and/or services that would benefit you.

Thriving Together: Neurodiversity Support Services

We’re seeking to actively promote a campus culture of understanding of students with neurological differences through collaboration, training, and consultation.”
Tanesha Antoine
Dean, Student Support Services
Our college-wide Neurodiversity Support Services Program offers individual and group support to students on the spectrum throughout their education. You can have one-on-one sessions with a neurodiversity coordinator and join group activities with fellow students, all aimed at helping you reach your educational goals. To access services, just contact Student Support Services on any campus.

Contact Us

We’re open for walk-in assistance. Come see us in Student Support Services on any campus.  

Or send questions to  

Central Campus

Central Campus

Welcome Center
Building 27 Room 1500

Phone: 281-478-2768

North Campus

North Campus

Welcome Center
Room 170

Phone: 281-459-7192

South Campus

South Campus

Welcome Center
Room 120

Phone: 281-922-3444